- DestinationsAfricaAmericaArabian PeninsulaEurope
Follow the Great River Race 2017
A weekend on the glorious Thames, from Millwall Slipway, the Isle of Dogs to Ham, Richmond.
The Great River Race, a marathon of traditional rowing boats rowing or paddling for 21.6 miles.
Little ship, big trip
Not competing? Follow the Race from the deck of the MV Viscount our spectator boat. Built in 1908 and recently restored, she is the oldest Dunkirk Little Ship still in passenger service. The MV Viscount is ideally suited to follow the Race, with its good visibility, low freeboard, 2 fully stocked and licensed bars and friendly cooperative crew, the Viscount makes the ideal viewing platform for The Great River Race. A BBQ will be available on board. It‛s the ideal way to see the sights both on and alongside the Thames and cheer your teams, friends and loved ones…make a weekend of this, we have put together various exciting options.
The’ weekend’ includes: 2 night’s bed and breakfast at the Lensbury, a Friday evening guided walk, the shuttle to the start of the race and the spectator boat.
The Lensbury Hotel, Teddington www.lensbury.com
The Lensbury on the banks of the Thames by Teddington Lock is set in 25 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds, the four star Lensbury Hotel has indoor and outdoor leisure facilities, award-winning spa and more.
Friday 08/09/17 Check in at the Lensbury Hotel on the bank of the Thames.
17:45 assemble at the lobby for 18:00 departure on a walking tour led by Paul Jackson http://www.discoveryrichmond.com/
– Stretch your legs in historic Teddington town and Bushy Park
– See where the tidal and non-tidal Thames meet
– Visit the spot where General Dwight D Eisenhower planned the invasion of Europe
– Watch herds of wild-roaming deer in a Royal Park
– Discover the former home of a king dubbed ‘Silly Billy’
– See where radar was invented and modern computer science was born
End at the Kings Head on Teddinton the High Street http://kingsheadteddington.com/ a very good place to eat (booking essential). Return at your leisure the Lensbury for overnight
Saturday 09/09/17 Breakfast at the hotel
08:00 shuttle departs for the Isle of Dogs outside the hotel. Watch the boats and teams assemble. Before 12:00 you will need to walk to the Masthouse Terrace Pier, a 10 minutes short walk away to board the Viscount.
To maximise the viewing opportunities for passenger boat spectators the Viscount will follow the course as far as Hammersmith Bridge before mooring up and waiting until most of the Race has passed. Then it will steam through the fleet to Richmond, where it will tie up at Richmond Landing Stage to watch the Race pass by as crews summon up the energy for the final push to the finish. You then can disembark and enjoy a short stroll upriver along the towpath to join the crowds around the Great River Race bar. From there it is a short stroll to Teddington Lock and the hotel for overnight.
Sunday 10/09/17 Breakfast at the hotel. Check out.
Cost per person in a double/twin £195.00 Single Supplement £40.00; children under the age of 16 sharing with 2 adults £130.000
Cost includes 2 night’s accommodation with full breakfast, free car parking, shuttle transfer to the Isle of Dogs, a place on the MV Viscount and a walking tour guided by Paul Jackson as described above.
You may decide to take the following optional activities on Sunday.
Take a river boat from Teddington Lock to Hampton Court: www.hrp.org.uk/hampton-court-palace/
• Turk’s Rivers Boat departing 11:30 return to the Lensbury to collect your luggage 14:35 or 16:35 1 hour and 15 each way. Need to register with us (this is an unscheduled stop)in advance cost £9.00 one way return £10.80 paid on boat
OR With Merry Pedaller bike tours
• Richmond Royal Deer Park Bike Tour inc bike hire
• 10:00 Start The Lensbury Club
• Enjoy Richmond Park, the largest Royal Park of London
• See deer and the old royal hunting lodge
• Refreshments Pembroke Lodge or Pen Ponds (not inc)
• See Turner’s view of the Thames
• Cycle along the River Thames riverside
• Return to The Lensbury 2pm approx
£35 including bike hire, guided tour + bottle of water – book and pay us in advance
Enhanced package: add a night on Thursday the 7th of September, or Sunday the 10th – or indeed both. Accommodation at the Lensbury £40.00 per person per night in a twin/double and in a single room £65.00 per night.
Have time to visit the Poppy Factory in Richmond, Kew Gardens or just relax and enjoy the great facilities of the Lensbury.
Reservation: Contact Crusader Travel
Non-refundable deposit £25.00 per person
Balance: by the 4th of August
Additional information of excursions in the area will be supplied after reservation.